Thursday, July 5, 2007

Beverly Sills 1929-2007

I was saddened by the passing of one of America's greatest sopranos. Beverly Sills has probably done more for the popularity of opera in America than any other artist in the field of opera. She proved through her actions that opera was not for the snobbish upper class of our society, but for all to enjoy. She appeared on television with many popular celebrities and at one time, I have read that she filled in for Johnny Carson on the "Tonight Show". I remember the first album of her music that I owned was selections from La Traviata. The album was definitely one of the reasons that I became so interested in opera and singing. Although she had been retired from singing for many years, she worked extensively in the field of opera. She was the general director of the New York City Opera for several years, has been the chair of the Lincoln Center and served as chairwoman of the Metropolitan Opera.

1 comment:

Edie said...

Steve, thanks for posting that on Beverly Sills. She was my introduction to opera, and I think it was a sad day for opera lovers everywhere.